Image Map

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Hallowreads

It is a teacher workday so it is quiet in the halls.  I am excited about the workshop our school has planned today for our state's "Race to the Top" initiative.  One of my favorite bloggers is coming to talk to our staff.  You can follow her here.  I hear she is a real literacy whiz, (and I can see that in her blog) so I am excited to see what I can take with me and use to help our students and teachers.
So I am wondering what your favorite "Hallowreads" are?  This week I read "The House that Drac Built".  The kids had a good time predicting what was next in the sequence.  We talked about the illustrations and how they showed the next creature in the sequence.  Then we discussed fiction and nonfiction characters in the book.  Wishing everyone a Spooktacular Halloween.  I have two small children so it is still a fun time at our house.  My 6 year old also has to choose his favorite book character Friday and I am thinking he is going with Darth Vader.  Being a teacher librarian, you would think we could be a little more creative, but that is what he wanted to be, so I'm going with it.
Here is a printable to use with the book.  I let my kindergarteners color this paper and then they came up with "at" words using this printable.  It is free at my teacherspayteachers store.

No comments:

Post a Comment